Friday 3 May 2013

Power Cookies

Cycling season has officially begun, so you know what that means...power cookies!!!  I hadn't eaten a power cookie until last year and I fell in love with them.  They're super easy to make, easy to carry with you, provide you with natural energy and curbs your hunger when you need it, and they taste like cookies!  You seriously can't go wrong.

My favourite recipe comes from Fitness Junkie's blog and I've included the link to the original recipe below.  My version of the recipe is as follows:

Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp flax seed
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I probably use between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup for the 1/4 cup ingredients)
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grind the flax seed into a powder using your mortar and pestle.  Add to the milk and set aside.  Mix all of the other ingredients together well.  Add the milk and flax seed liquid and mix well.  Form into 8-12 balls, really packing the ingredients together, and place on a greased or non-stick cookie sheet.  I find I put the balls down and then press them down a bit with a domed hand.  If you try to flatten them completely they'll fall apart.  Bake for 8-12 minutes, remove from oven and cool completely.  Keeps well in the fridge for the short-term, or the freezer for the long-term. 

The mixture ready to be formed into balls.

Pre-oven!
 
Post-oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment