Friday 17 May 2013

Chambar

Chambar...oh how I love you.  When I think of Chambar, words completely disappear and all I get is a feeling.  A mix of excitement, anticipation, happiness, comfort, something special and something delicious all at once.  To me, Chambar is one of those very special restaurants in Vancouver that is a step above in every single respect.  Its food is sublime, the service is unreal, you are as comfortable as you would be in your neighbourhood pub but you're in a high-end restaurant and are being catered to at every moment...it is truly a treat to eat there.  Chambar is hands down one of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver. 

So, when my dear friend said she wanted to go to Chambar for her birthday, the little kid inside of me did a happy dance at the thought of getting to go there for dinner. 

For those of you who have been there before, I know your salivary glands have started working overtime, so do yourself a favour and treat yourself to a night out.  For those of you who haven't been there, go home, cross out the top restaurant on your "must-try" list, and replace it with Chambar.  It's a must.

I have to apologize as the photos don't do the food half the justice that it deserves and I didn't take half as many photos as there were delicious meals.  I got too caught up in enjoying the fun of the evening and meeting some lovely new people!  The bottom line: whatever you order, you can't go wrong.

Salade agre-douce: Belgian endive, golden beets, grapefruit, lingonberries, picked greens, burnt bread, buttermilk honey and citrus vinaigrette.  ($12).  This looked divine! 

My Congolaise Moules Frites: mussels, tomato coconut cream, smoked chili, lime, cilantro.  ($23)  Oh Congolaise Moules Frites...the world wouldn't be the same without you!  I absolutely love this meal and when I say love it's an understatement.  The only thing that is wrong with this dish is that you don't get a loaf of bread with it to sop up all of the delicious broth after you've polished off the mussels.  Note: this portion is not for the weak of heart.  Every time I've had it, I've questioned whether I'm going to be able to finish my plate...and that's a rarity!  PS - I don't know how they make their fries, but even they are abnormally delicious! 
 
My Sandwich Glacée.  Imagine sour cherry ice cream shaped into an ice cream sandwich patty, with a thin layer of crushed peanuts on either side and a disc of heavenly chocolate on top, sat beside a line of sour cherries, toasted meringues, peanuts, and peanut butter mousse.  Heavenly!  ($11)

Twitter: @chambar

No comments:

Post a Comment