Monday 11 March 2013

The best dinner I've had in months...

As you all know, I love going out, trying new foods and enjoying the atmospheres of different restaurants.  However, this past weekend I feel very lucky to have been invited over to a friend's for dinner.  It re-reminded me just how gourmet and relaxing a meal at home can be.  It was a real treat and I definitely plan on re-creating all of the recipes again myself.  Thanks a bundle for the scrumptious meal!

When I arrived I was asked if I wanted a drink.  I thought the offer was for a beer or glass of wine...not a homemade margarita!!!  And let me tell you, these margaritas were dangerously good.  You couldn't even taste the alcohol...just yummy frozen lime juice.  I can picture many of these in my future this summer.  For those of you who would like to try and create this at home: 1.5 oz tequila, 1.5 oz lime juice, 1/4 oz cointreau, 1 cup ice, 1-1.5 oz simple syrup.  Blend and enjoy!

As we were enjoying our margaritas, we started making our starters: Amalfi Baked Lemons from Jamie Oliver's Italy cookbook.  They were absolutely delightful!  Every flavour that I love, all in one dish.  To replicate these, go to page 20 of Jamie's Italy if you have it, otherwise, you'll need 2 large lemons, buffalo mozzarella, 2 cherry tomatoes (halved), 4 basil leaves, freshly ground salt and pepper, 1/2 dried chili and 2 sardines.  Cut the ends off of the lemons and then cut them in half and scoop out all of the lemon pulp to create bowls.  Put a layer of buffalo mozzarella at the bottom of the lemon bowl, then place one half of a cherry tomato, one half of a sardine, a sprinkle of freshly ground salt and pepper, a few flakes of dried chili pepper and a basil leaf on top.  Cover with another layer of buffalo mozzarella and bake in the oven at 400F until golden (about 10 minutes).  Serve on toasted bread which has been rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil (subsequent to toasting).  Heaven on earth!  Supposed to serve 4, unless you have an appetite like mine.


Our main consisted of David Lee's Baked Halibut with Tomato Salsa and Jamie Oliver's Risotto Bianco.  This was nothing short of mind-blowingly spectacular.  The halibut was perfectly cooked, the homemade tomato salsa was bursting with flavour and the risotto was divine.  As you can tell, I was a little excited to eat it and almost forgot to take a picture!  The true sign of a delicious meal.
 
The recipe for David Lee's baked halibut can be found at the link below...I highly recommend trying this recipe...and by highly, I mean you're crazy if you don't!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/recipes/david-lees-baked-halibut-with-tomato/article1056772/

The Risotto Bianco recipe can be found on page 130 of Jamie's Italy, or a very similar recipe can be found at the link below.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/a-basic-risotto-recipe

As for dessert, The Udder Guy's Vanilla ice cream and raspberries.  The perfect end to a delicious meal!  Apologies for the lack of a photo.  By that time, I was too engulfed in food heaven to remember to take out my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment