Saturday 9 March 2013

Bringing the Mediterranean Home...

When I went to Corduroy the other day, it brought back memories of my favourite dish at Truffles.  I can't remember what it was called but it was this plate of meat, cheese, pickled vegetables, olives, salad, warm foccacia bread...pretty much a plate of yummy goodness.  Ever since they shut down I make myself a version of this every once in a while.  It's never topped the dishes at Truffles, but it definitely is refreshing, fun and yummy...and doesn't even require an oven!

My latest creation included cervelat and hungarian salami, roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, spicy pickled beans (home-made of course!), greens mixed in an olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing with feta sprinkled on top, and a fresh bun with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dipping sauce.  Scrumptious! 

Things to note: Having worked in a deli for many a year, I discovered the best way to eat salami is thinly sliced.  It brings out the flavours more.  Same thing goes for cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment