Thursday 21 February 2013

Nat's Roasted Mushroom Soup - Whitewater Cooks

When I told my sister that I was trying the Whitewater Cooks Roasted Mushroom Soup, she just about blew a gasket.  I believe the exact word she used multiple times was "Phenomenal!"  I could even hear the capital "P" and exclamation point over the phone.  This all from the girl who I clearly remember falling asleep at the kitchen table because she refused to eat her mushroom soup growing up.  Wonders really never do cease. 

Needless to say, I was even more ecstatic to try this recipe out after chatting on the phone with my sister.  I have to admit, my experience wasn't quite as phenomenal as hers, but that was mainly due to the fact that I added twice the amount of flour I was supposed to (ooopsy daisies!)...which obviously sucked a lot of flavour out of the soup.  That being said, it was still a really yummy, hearty soup, I plan on trying it again and I would recommend trying it if you're in the market for some mushroom soup to fill your belly!

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • Rosemary from about three sprigs, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, thickly sliced
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 4 cups milk
  • 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (I used vegetable)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375F.  Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat then add the onions and cook until soft and translucent.  Add the garlic and fresh rosemary and sauté for a few minutes more.  Add the mushrooms then and stir well to combine.  Dump the contents of the pot onto a baking sheet and bake, stirring a couple of times, until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown (about 25 minutes).  Remove from the oven and let cool.  Melt the butter in the same pot.  Add the flour and stir.  Pour the milk in slowly while whisking to prevent lumps.  Simmer over medium low heat for about five minutes until thickened.  Pour your stock into a blender and add about half of the golden mushroom concoction.  Blend until very smooth.  Add the purée and the rest of the mushroom mixture to the soup pot.  Stir and bring the soup to a simmer for a few minutes.  Season with salt, lots of ground pepper, and leftover rosemary if you feel the urge.  Serves 6.

Things to Note: For those of you who have the cookbook, it says that it serves 8.  This is definitely on the generous side and I would say it serves more around 4-6, with a grilled cheese on the side.

Nat's Roasted Mushroom Soup

Dinner!

1 comment:

  1. My husband came home from the store with a huge bag of mushrooms, so I looked online to find a cream of mushroom soup recipe to use up all those mushrooms. I made this today and it's delicious! It helped to have an herb garden in the backyard with fresh thyme and rosemary. I love the Whitewater cookbooks from Nelson, B.C. but didn't have the one with this recipe in it. So thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete