Saturday 15 December 2012

Snow with a Side of Brunch

So, needless to say, I love a good meal but nothing ever tastes better than that first handful of fluffy, powdery snow melting in your mouth each and every year.  It's amazing!!! 

I headed up to Seymour for my first snowshoe of the year today.  When I went to bed last night I was a little worried that it might rain so I wished and wished for snow.  Well, my wishing paid off, because it was a complete and utter winter wonderland up there!  It made for a very fun snowshoe and the most scrumptious snow I've tasted in a long time. 

My morning snack.
 
 Hmmm...I think I'll have some from the second tree to the right of the snowghost, please.

Needless to say, a morning of snowshoeing works up quite an appetite and despite its yumminess, a snow snack just doesn't cut it in the hunger department.  So, brunch was a must, it was just a matter of where.  After much hungry discussion, we decided on Slickity Jim's Chat N Chew on Main.  I had never been there and I have to say it is one of the best diners I've been to.  It was toasty warm and cozy, we only had to wait about 10-15 minutes for a table, the servers were real and nice, the booths were made out of old school bus seats, the names of the dishes were awesome and the food was scrumptious.  Not greasy diner food at all.  Delicious flavours and very filling.  It's already become a regular on my brunch list and if you haven't been there, you definitely have to check it out!

 Seriously, with a name like that, you can't go wrong.


My hot apple cider.  True apple cider with a cinnamon stick...I was in heaven!  I literally could have drank a vat of it, it was so good.

My Fun Gus Benny: two eggs poached medium on english muffins with hollandaise sauce, sauteed mushrooms, bacon, and roasted potatoes ($11).  Scrumptious!  That's pretty much all that needs to be said.  However, I would like to say that I was very impressed with the fact that the roasted potatoes actually tasted like roasted potatoes.  No deep-frying, just lots of herbs, spices and a little olive oil or butter.  They were definitely a highlight for me.  Next time I'm going to have to order the Woman in a Flowing Dress Kissing Her Lover omelette, though, because who wouldn't want to order a dish called that?!

One of my snowshoeing partner in crime's Chorizo with Mushroom omelette: 3 eggs, with roasted potatoes and sourdough bread.  It looked delicious and the plate was pretty much licked clean so I don't think there were any complaints. ($9.75)  Interesting side fact before I forget, all of their eggs are free-run eggs.
 
 The true sign of a great snowshoe and a delicious meal!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment