Sunday 2 December 2012

My Special Yams...

There's something I love about BBQing in the winter.  I don't know if it's because I saw my Dad brave the snow and cold many a time, or the fact that it reminds me of summer and sunshine, or because food just tastes better cooked on the grill but, whatever it is, I love it!  And for all of you reading this and saying "but I live in an old apartment without a light on my deck"...did you really think they invented headlamps for camping?

This yam recipe is one of my favourite recipes to make in the winter.  It's a bit sweeter, so it just feels like a warm, winter meal.  Start by scrubbing or peeling your yams (can be made with sweet potatoes as well), then chop them into bite-sized pieces.  Place on a piece of tinfoil.  Next, cut a Mac apple (or any kind of tart apple) into bite-sized pieces...I leave the skins on...and spread over the yams.  Add a couple small (or large if you want) dollops of butter, a drizzle of olive oil, or sprinkle some water (least healthy and most yummy to most healthy and least yummy options) over the yams and apples.  Sprinkle with cinnamon, and if you're feeling like a treat, a bit of brown sugar.  Close the tinfoil up to make a boat. 

To make the boat, bring the long pieces of tinfoil together and fold in little folds down towards the yams.  The tinier the fold, the more times you can roll over and the tighter the seal will be.  Then, do the same thing for the ends.  Repeat this, but make sure the length-wise seal is on the bottom instead of the top, in case one of the seals blows.

Pop on the BBQ or in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.  Make sure to flip the boat at least once.  When you open it up, be careful.  The tinfoil itself won't be super hot, but the steam that comes out can burn you pretty darn good.  I normally open the seals with tongs, to keep the steam at bay.

Another of my favourites on the BBQ are grilled peppers.  Slice up whatever colour peppers tickle your fancy, put about a 1/2 tsp olive oil on a brush and brush both sides of the pepper, then season both sides with salt and pepper.  Grill for about 1-2 minutes per side.  I normally do skin-side down last, because then all of the juices accumulate in the pepper for when you eat it.

Enjoy!

My yams, prior to the official closing of the tinfoil boat.

Grilled peppers, pre-grilling.
 
Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment