Wednesday 17 October 2012

Yoga, Eat, Repeat at Nelson the Seagull

Tonight I went to Yoga, Eat, Repeat at Nelson the Seagull.  I'd heard about it from a fabulous yoga instructor I had this summer.  I'd been going to her wonderful outdoor yoga classes in Cooper's Park but as the days got shorter and the temperatures got colder, we realized that outdoor yoga wouldn't last forever.  At the end of one of her last sessions, she'd mentioned that she'd gone to a really cool yoga class with her sister where they did yoga in a coffee shop in Gastown and then got dinner at the end of it, all for $25!!  I knew I had to try it out.

It  took a bit longer than I had hoped to get around to going, but I'm really glad I did.  It was one of the neatest things I've done in a while.  Doing yoga in a random space was a fun way to switch up my regular routine.  Although, I would recommend bringing your own soft block if you have sensitive knees because the tile floors are a bit hard, and don't be surprised if you open your eyes during downward dog and see a homeless man checking out your butt!  That being said, the instructor, Alex, was great and so was the class.

And the food took the whole experience to another level!  First of all, you sit down long table style on eclectic old chairs and stools and there are these massive bowls of homemade bread and butter for you to feast on while you wait for your dinner.  That bread is how bread is meant to be made.  I think I polished off a solid half loaf all on my own.  For dinner there are three options: soup, salad and grilled cheese sandwich.  You get to pick two of the three.  I opted for the grilled cheese and soup. 

The soup was Chili Lime Squash tonight.  I'm not going to lie, it wasn't a favourite of mine.  It tasted more like chili soup than anything else and there was stringy lemon grass in it so the texture was weird.  I was able to eat it, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.  That being said, the grilled cheese more than made up for it.  It was hands down the best grilled cheese I have ever had.  If there had been a homemade canned pickle on my plate, I would have achieved the highest level of food happiness!  My friend had the salad instead of the soup and was thoroughly happy with her decision.  Spinach, strawberries, almonds, parmesan cheese...it looked very yummy.

Now on to dessert.  When I first came in and was waiting to pay, I happened to notice that they had salted peanut butter cups in their deli case.  It had nagged at me all through yoga and dinner, so I went and asked the kind gentlemen whether it was possible to purchase one even though they technically weren't open...and he said yes!  Reese's peanut butter cups better look out, because Nelson's recipe would take their entire market share if they decided to go global.  Imagine hard dark chocolate the size of a hockey puck, with the inside hollowed out and peanut butter inserted, then course sea salt sprinkled on top.  Heaven!!!

Needless to say, I highly recommend checking this out.  It may have just made my week.

Things to note: (i) Yoga, Eat, Repeat is offered on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6pm.  Yoga starts just after 6 and dinner is ready about five minutes after the class finishes. (ii) The cost is $24.64 tax in.  I'm not sure the appropriate amount to tip in such a situation so that may affect your cost, but considering some yoga classes alone would cost you that much, it's a steal of a deal! (iii) There is plenty of water available to drink, but I noticed that some people had brought in their own "grape juice" in brown paper bags.  Definitely seemed like a good idea for next time.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment