Thursday 4 October 2012

Vij's Railway Express

Have you ever had one of those friends where sometimes even you're confused about how you became friends?  That perfectly describes my lunch date today.  Having someone as amazing as her in my life makes me truly appreciate the need for randomness.

My random friend was craving some curry so we decided to try out Vij's Railway Express as neither of us had been.  I'm not going to lie.  When I first heard about this truck, I was super excited to try it but I quickly heard a lot of "it's good but not great" experiences and it started to drop down my list of "must try asap!"

However, I was pleasantly surprised.  I was toying between the Dhaal and the Butter Chicken Schnitzel and ended up opting for the Schnitzel.  It was very good and flavourful.  Definitely packed a punch, but very yummy.  I didn't think the chicken being in schnitzel form really added anything to the dish, but it also didn't take anything away from it.  My only comment is that the portion is good for a regular hunger day, but would probably be a bit small for a super hungry day.  Now for the highlight: my yummy in my tummy chai.  I haven't had proper chai in a long time and it was heavenly!!  I may have even resorted to scooping out the almond and pistachio slivers at the bottom to get every last bit of yumminess!

My random friend opted for the Dhaal as it was lactose-intolerant friendly and she thoroughly enjoyed it.  I believe she excitingly described it as spicy, aromatic and delicious!  I was lucky enough to steal a bite and thoroughly agree that it was scrumptious.  As for her apple cider, when I asked if it was pretty much just a normal apple cider, her "No, it's delicious!" was instantaneous.  Definitely mulled apple cider, not a packaged version, and definitely a great warm-you-up on a cold day.

Thanks for the great lunch random friend!

Things to note: (1) This is one of the more expensive food trucks I've come across.  Menu items range from $7.50 to $11.50 and drinks from $3.50 to $4.25.  (2) HST is not included.  (3) Plastic is accepted.  (4) They sell Vij's signed cookbooks and spices at the truck as well.  (5) The line-ups seem to have died down now that the weather is starting to cool off, but still a good bet to get there early, just in case. 

The truck on the North side of Georgia between Burrard and Thurlow.

The menu.

Punjabi Dhaal served with Rice and Naan, and a hot apple cider.

Butter Chicken Schnitzel served with Rice and Naan, and a Kashmiri Chai with Almond and Pistachio slivers.

The yummy goodness of my quickly disappearing chai.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment