Saturday 20 October 2012

Fable for Brunch

Today I went to Fable for brunch with a good friend who was in from out of town, her husband and her adorable baby girl.  The line-ups at Sophie's and Joe's Grill were quite long so we walked down the street to Fable. 
 
I'd never had brunch at Fable and I was curious to try it out.  When we first walked in, the lady at the front came up and said for 3 and a half?  Not an abnormal question to ask, but the way she said the half made me wonder if they didn't allow kids.  Seeing as though the restaurant was only half full, and brunch is normally an informal meal, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.
 
When we got seated I remembered how much I love this restaurant.  In the daylight it felt like a modern, eclectic barn.  I loved it!  The menu was simple but mouth watering and the food was delicious as always.  However, the lady at the front ended up being our server and I'm pretty sure she's not a fan of babies.  We'd literally just finished eating our scrumptious food when my friend's little girl started to fuss a bit, my friend stood up to bounce her and she quieted down right away.  My friend hadn't been standing for more than 10 seconds when our server came up and said "Oh, time to go?"  We hadn't planned on leaving that quickly, but it was pretty clear she felt we should.  In fairness, just about every other employee in the restaurant was smitten with the baby at our table and made a point of coming up and saying hello to her, but I still didn't appreciate the way our server had acted.
 
Moral of the story?  Fable's brunch is just as delicious as its dinner (pictures below).  It's important to note that the portions are good but not massive.  So, if you're looking for a big, greasy breakfast after a night out, probably not the place for you.  And, in hindsight, if you have adorable kids with you, it's probably a better idea to go to Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company that welcomes children and babies with welcome arms.

3 egg bacon, mushroom and cheddar omelette with salad, rosti, rustic bread and a freshly squeezed orange juice.

Ham benedicts with olive oil hollandaise, salad and rosti.

The yummy white chocolate chip cookies that came with our meal.  Such a great touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment