Sunday 28 October 2012

Chicken Stirfry with Homemade Sauce - Eating for Energy without Deprivation

This is one of my favourite go to recipes.  It's yummy, quick and easy to make, and is great as leftovers for the week.  I initially got the idea from the Crispy Tofu Stirfry recipe in "Eating for Energy without Deprivation - The 80/20 Cookbook."  My take on it as follows:

Sauce
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tbsp soya sauce
  • 1 tbsp sherry cooking wine
  • 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 tsp hot sauce (I think Frank's Red Hot tastes the best in this recipe)
Mix all of the ingredients together and set aside.

Stirfry
  • 2 chicken breasts (or red meat, or pre-cooked tofu), cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2/3 of a red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2/3 of an orange bell pepper, chopped
  • 2/3 of a yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 10-12 mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 cups of kale, broken into bite-size pieces
  • Pretty much whatever other veggies you like
Cook the chicken in a fry-pan with 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic, and 1-2 tbsp of peeled and grated ginger.  Sometimes I add the garlic and ginger to the sauce instead of adding it to the chicken while it's cooking.  If I do add it to the chicken, I normally add it at the end, or I find the garlic and ginger burn.  Once the chicken is cooked, add the sauce to the pan.  It will thicken and start to bubble quite quickly.  Once it has, add your veggies and cook until the veggies are cooked to your liking.  Serve over rice.  This normally makes 3-4 servings for me.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment